Fireplace Safety Instructions:
Before igniting your fireplace for the first time
in a season, make sure the damper is open.
The damper is a trap door to the flue
that keeps heat out in the summer
and prevents cool air from coming in
when the fireplace is not in use.
You can check it by looking
up the chimney flue to see
if you are able to see daylight.
If there are any obstructions,
remove them or have them removed.
If not removed, these obstructions
can easily cause carbon monoxide
to back up into your home. Carbon monoxide is a deadly, odorless and invisible gas.(symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning). Do Not Burn:
Pressure-treated wood in stoves or fireplaces because they contain toxic chemicals, that can make you ill. Do Not Burn:
Newspapers or other trash in a fireplace, because they burn too hot and can ignite a chimney fire.Artificial logs:
Made from wax and sawdust should only be used one (1) at a time.Never leave a fireplace unattended. Creosote build up is an unavoidable product of wood-burning stoves and fireplaces. Creosote builds up in connectors and chimney flues and can cause a chimney fire. Chimneys and vents should be inspected and cleaned annually. by a professional chimney sweep.
Daily or heavy usage, requires
more regular maintenance.